Moving is over and now it is time to adjust to a new environment. What to do after moving from Pennsylvania to New York – it is a big change in life and a big step. Especially if you moved alone. Being alone in a new city can be difficult and stressful. Many people are feeling sad, or even depressed. Besides that, there are many tasks to do after moving such as unpacking, changing documents, etc.
Benefits of moving from Pennsylvania to New York
Some people are moving after divorce, students are moving because of college, some people are moving because of a job – there are plenty of reasons to move. But, why are people leaving PA for NY? What are the pros of living in New York and what this state has to offer people?
- Plenty of job opportunities can be found after moving from Pennsylvania to New York. The competition is huge, but many companies are from here.
- NY is known for different things and one of them is that this place never sleeps. There is an endless list of things to do – just name it.
- The food is delicious and you will find food from all over the world here.
- NY has a long history and rich culture. So, there are a lot of museums and almost every street has its own story. Besides that, because there are people from all around the world, you will meet different cultures too.
- NY has the best public transportation system in the world, especially the subway. You don’t need a car.
- Everything you need can be found in the city because New York City is a city of convenience.
Change your address and transfer utilities
When changing your address, it means that you need to change many official documents. It is one of the most important steps if you need to organize your first relocation because you are moving from one state to another and there will be more paperwork.
- Go to the post office and fill out the form to change your address.
- The next step is to contact utility companies because you probably don’t want to pay for double bills.
- Go to your bank and notify them you have moved to NY.
- Most people don’t move a vehicle to NY, but if you do, then update your vehicle registration.
Clean your home after moving from Pennsylvania to New York
Right after the move, clean your home in New York, before you start to unpack moving boxes. It is much easier and faster to clean when the apartment is empty. You need to clean all the furniture, floor, kitchen, bathroom. Especially if the apartment is furnished already. You don’t know who lived there before, so make sure everything is properly cleaned. Deal with pests in your bed, deep clean carpets, and disinfect the apartment completely.
After cleaning, it is time to unpack your items and to decorate a home. The key to fast unpacking is – good and organized packing. If you have labeled all boxes and separated items properly, your unpacking part will be smooth and easy. So, before moving from Pennsylvania to New York, make sure to pack your moving boxes properly and to be organized. If you don’t know how to pack properly, hire professional packers to do it instead of you. ipsnycmovers.com is one of the companies you should consider as your moving help.
When the cleaning is over, unpacking may start.
- Have a priority list when unpacking. This is important especially if you have kids, and their items need to be unpacked first.
- Safely store important documents and find a proper place in your apartment to keep paperwork.
- Decorate a new place and give it your personal touch.
Help your kids after moving to adjust fast
When moving with kids to NY or with a dog, for instance – it is different from moving alone. Moving with family means that you need to take care of many different things. Unpack their items first and try not to change your kids’ routine. Sleeping and eating should be always the same, as before. Include your kids into a moving process, and they will feel less sad. Spend more time together as a family after moving.
Renting a storage unit in New York
NY apartments are usually small and expensive – it is not a secret. This is why many people have a problem with storage space in their homes. Try not to make clutter in your new home. You don’t need to spend more money on a bigger apartment – renting a storage unit is a cheaper option. Store excess stuff away for more space in your home and stay within the budget.
Just try to keep your storage clean and your items are safe. Many Newyorkers rent a storage unit and they are easy to find here. Store off-season clothing, decorations, items with sentimental value, and your home will look bigger and you will have more space.
Explore NY and meet new people
Luckily, New York is not a boring city. People from all around the world are coming here to have fun and to explore a new culture. After moving, unpacking, and cleaning it is time to relax and enjoy. Explore NY and find your new favorite spot in the city where you live now. Find new friends and say YES to new things. It is easy to feel nostalgic, to feel sad, so try to cope with that after moving by socializing.
Throw a housewarming party
PA and NY are relatively near each other, so you can invite your friends from PA to visit you in NY. Organize a housewarming party and invite your friends, family, and also, invite some new friends from NY after moving from Pennsylvania to New York.